Shipping containers are an important part of global trade and transportation. They provide a secure and cost-effective way to transport items across vast distances quickly and safely. When it comes to storage shipping containers, one of the most popular size is the 20-foot container.
In this guide, we will explore this type of container in detail, including its dimensions, capacity, and other important information. Find out why these containers are so popular and how they can help you get the job done.
What Are 20 Foot Shipping Containers?
A 20-foot shipping container is like a big metal box. They are made of corrugated steel and can be easily modified to meet specific requirements. Some containers have extra features like double doors, wind and water tight, or stronger floors.
20-foot shipping containers offer a number of features that make them an attractive choice for storage and transportation needs. Their tough construction makes them resistant to wear and tear, and their portability makes them easy to move from one place to another.
20-foot Shipping Container Dimensions
20ft open top
5.9m / 19.4ft
19.4ft / 5.902m
19.3ft / 5.9m
2.35m / 7.8ft
7.7ft / 2.352m
7.7ft / 2.35m
2.39m / 7.9ft
8.9 ft / 2.698m
7.8 ft / 2.38m
2,300kg / 5,071.5 lbs
2,315 kgs / 5103.701 lbs
2,350 kg / 5,181.8 lbs
25,000kg / 55,126.9 lbs
28,160kg / 62082.173 lbs
28,130kg / 62,026.7 lbs
33.2m3 / 1,172 cu ft
37,28m3 / 1,316.53 cu ft
32.5m3 / 1,147.3 cu ft
For seamless global transportation and intermodal transfer, shipping containers must be in strict compliance with the international standard ISO 668:1995. This ensures their optimization is maximized worldwide. A 20ft container is roughly 20 feet long (6 meters) by 8 feet wide (2.4 meters) by 8′ 6″ tall (2.6 meters). The size of this type of container makes it simple to remember as its outside length will always be a constant twenty-feet!
A shipping container can measure anywhere from 8’6” to a few inches higher, depending on the supplier. Inside measurements must reach at least 5.9m long, 2.3m wide and 2.4 meters high in order to fulfill regulation guidelines for size standards of an ordinary shipping container unit.
If you require exact dimensions of a 20-foot storage box both in metric and imperial systems, our article regarding shipping container dimensions will give all the information needed!
20-foor Shipping Container Conditions
- The One-Trip Containers are recently launched shipping containers. They are used only once to ship commodities from China and then put up for sale. Although they may have some dents, dings, and rust due to the lengthy and burdensome journey across the ocean, the containers remain in excellent condition overall. They are classified as Grade A or IICL containers, indicating their exceptional quality and dependability.
- Used shipping containers were previously used to transport goods, so they may have dents and rust. Tthey are still strong and can remain useful for many years. Usually, they come from international shipping companies and are between 8 and 15 years old.
The different grades used to classify used shipping containers are:
- Cargo Worthy shipping containers are carefully checked and deemed suitable for international transportation, whether by air, rail, or road. The exterior of these containers may have minor aesthetic damages such as original paint (with varying colors), old markings from previous shipments, rust patches, and dents. Any container that will be used for export purposes must undergo a thorough survey to receive a valid CSC inspection sticker.
- Wind and Water Tight shipping containers are dependable and will not leak. However, please be aware that these containers may display signs of wear and tear, such as rust on the exterior surface, original paintwork, and dents or scratches from previous tough shipping journeys, which may make them appear less appealing from the outside.
- As is containers typically consists of the oldest ones. Upon inspection, it was discovered that this particular container has sustained significant damage. Repairing it to ensure it is wind and watertight would be too expensive due to multiple holes in its external and internal surfaces, as well as broken flooring, among other issues. We generally recommend against purchasing this container unless it will be used for something where structural integrity or exterior appearance is not a major concern.
3. Refurbished Shipping Containers are containers that have been cleaned, primed, and freshly painted to make sure they are Wind and Water Tight (WWT). These containers get a second chance at life and can be used for years to come.
Benefits of Buying a 20-Foot Shipping Container
The biggest benefit of using a 20-foot shipping container is its convenience. These containers are easy to transport, store and use for various purposes. Here are some other benefits:
- Durable construction: These containers are made from corrugated steel and can withstand extreme weather conditions. They are also resistant to wear and tear, making them a good option for long-term use.
- Secure: 20-foot shipping containers are designed to be secure and tamper-proof. This makes them ideal for transporting items that need to remain safe from outside threats.
- Easy to customize: You can easily modify a used shipping container to meet your specific needs. This includes adding doors, windows, or other features such as shelving or partitions.
- Portable: The containers are designed to be easy to move from one place to another. They can also be stacked on top of each other for extra storage capacity.
- Cost-Effective: Using a 20-foot shipping container is an inexpensive way to store and transport items. You can rent or buy a shipping container for short or long periods of time, depending on your needs. The cost-efficiency makes them a great option for businesses that need to move goods from one location to another.
20-foot shipping containers are an ideal solution for storage and transportation needs. With their tough construction, cost-efficiency, security features, and weatherproof capabilities, they’re the perfect choice for anyone looking to move items safely and securely. It is recommended that you take a few extra minutes to choose the right container size to fit your needs.
On-Site Storage Solutions
At On-Site Storage Solutions, we offer an unbeatable selection of shipping containers to meet your business’s unique needs and budget. With over 60 locations across the US and Canada, as well as our convenient rent-to-own scheme, you can be sure that you will get the perfect container for your project. Reach us at (888) 405-8772 for more information or a free quote!
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
The empty weight of a 20-foot shipping container is usually around 2.45 metric tonnes (4,194 lbs). However, the specific weight may differ depending on the container type.
A 20-foot container has an empty weight of 2,300 kg and can potentially be loaded with a maximum weight of 28 tons (25,400 kg). However, the actual weight limit may vary due to restrictions and limitations imposed by the shipping line, cargo characteristics, and specific shipment details.
The width of a standard 20 ft shipping container is approximately 8 feet (2.35 meters). However, it’s important to note that there may be slight variations in dimensions depending on the specific manufacturer and model of the container.
A 20ft shipping container typically weighs 2.45 metric tonnes (4,194 lbs) when empty. The exact weight can vary depending on the type of container.